Friday, July 18, 2014

Tasty Bread for Breakfast, Snack or Dessert

I'm finally going to start posting some recipes!!  One thing you have to understand about me, is that I rarely just find a recipe and follow it.  I will often find an interesting recipe and...tweak it....I like to make it my own by adjust or adding some "special ingredient".  And, I rarely make something the exact same way twice - keeps life interesting around here!  When Don and I were young and newly married, my cooking style led to more pizza nights than I care to recall, but, with experience and a wiser taste-pallate, that very rarely happens these days.  The trouble is, I don't write things down to share them.  I'm hoping that I will get better at it with this blog.



I'm enjoying learning to cook with maple syrup.  I love its sweet, rich, unique flavor!















Bread is very popular in this house, so I was delighted when I found this recipe, originally shared by the Wisconsin Maple Syrup Producers Association.


Maple-Cranberry Coffee Bread

1 packet dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup dark or extra dark maple syrup
2 Tbs. oil
1 Tbs. buttermilk powder
1-1and1/2 tsp. grated orange or lemon zest
1 tsp salt
3and1/2 cups all purpose flour or bread flour (may need a bit more if dough is too moist, so keep it handy!)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Maple Glaze

1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbs. confectioner's sugar
1 Tbs. butter

1. Lightly oil large bowl and set aside.  In another large bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water.  Add the maple syrup, oil, buttermilk, zest, and salt.  Mix well.

2.  Stir 2 cups of flour into mixture, then gradually add remaining flour to create a soft dough.  Work in the cranberries and walnuts.  Knead for about 5 minutes.

3.  Place dough ball into greased bowl, cover and set in a warm place.  Let rise for about an hour.
4.  Punch down the dough and turn onto lightly floured surface.

5.  Shape into a 14inch by 6inch loaf, then, using a pizza-cutter, split into 3 strips.  Braid the strips.  (*I actually split the dough in half and made 2 smaller braided loafs!)

6.  Carefully place  braided loaf on a lightly oiled baking sheet.

7.  Preheat oven to 350, while your loaf rises for 30 minutes.

8.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Let cool for 20 minutes before glazing.  Or, if the glaze is just too much sweetness for you, brush some butter on top and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Either way it's very tasty!

Glaze:
Combine ingredients in a sauce pan.  Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly.  A warm, thick glaze will form.  Drizzle over loaf and it will harden as it cools.

Best served warm!

We've had this recipe a few times and it is always a winner!!  Happy Baking, Friends!

I have a few summery recipes that I will share on my next post, so keep in touch.



No comments:

Post a Comment