Sunday, January 3, 2016

Our (temporary) Loss Is Heaven's Gain...

                                                                                                                                                                              The year 2016 certainly began with the unexpected....on January 2nd our Uncle Bruce went home to be with the Lord.

Dec. 2013


A few months ago, my father-in-law called us to tell us that Uncle Bruce had a fall and had been taken to Chester County Hospital.  Upon examination, a brain tumor was discovered and he was immediately transported to the University of Penn. The cancerous tumor was removed, all but a small piece too close to a major artery.  He underwent his first month of chemotherapy and radiation between Thanksgiving and Christmas.






We learned just after Christmas that his most recent MRI showed that the small piece of the tumor left behind had shrunk!  Although I can't recall the other details of this conversation, everything was looking quite positive for Uncle Bruce and the annual "after New Year's" party was on for January 16th at Uncle Bruce and Aunt Gayle's home.  Living 4+ hours away now, we haven't been able to attend this event in three years, but this year Don, Will and Grace would head to PA, while Rosie and I would hold down the fort....

Michele's Birthday, Oct.2015
...So, you can imagine our shock early yesterday, the collective shock of our entire extended family, that Uncle Bruce's brain was hemorrhaging and the doctors couldn't stop it.  He passed away a little bit after noon.  So, while we are grieving our loss at the moment, we also want to celebrate Uncle Bruce, his life and how much he meant to each of us.

While Uncle Bruce is, technically-speaking, Don's uncle, I have known him, spent time with him, since I was the tender age of 13.  You see, my best friend through middle and high school, Andrea, is Don's cousin...Uncle Bruce's daughter!  (Yes, Andrea and her family played an integral part in the adventurous path of my life!)

Don's birthday, 2000

When I think of Uncle Bruce, I think of his stories,
                                                                       his trains,
                                                                           his beard,
                                                                                his smile,
                                                                                   his boisterous, jovial laugh...

What I will remember about Uncle Bruce is how he was always so genuinely glad to see us!  He never failed to greet us with open arms and a warm smile.  He was genuinely interested in our "adventures", and listened to our tales with rapt interest...never skeptical...never judgmental.

Even those times when Don and I made decisions that others thought rash or impractical, he encouraged us...made sure we knew that he was behind us.  When others struggled to accept Don for who he was, not Uncle Bruce.  He encouraged Don's creativity and visionary spirit more than most, often taking the role of "sounding board" for him, while reassuring me that it would all work out alright. (Of course, he was right!)

On Uncle Bruce's hammock, 2005

                                                                                                                    And our kids have such fond memories of him, too.  How many kids get to really know their great uncle?  Play with model trains together?  Talk Sci-fi movies and fantasy books with him?  Listen to his navy stories from the 1970's? Go hunting with him?







Yes, our family is quite blessed to have had Bruce Morris in our lives!  He will be greatly missed, indeed.  This week we will mourn with our extended family and comfort each other.  But, I will also look forward to that day we will be reunited in Heaven.  Until then, this family will hold onto our fond memories of him, telling joyful stories of him at family gatherings.

When I compose my blog posts, I will imagine I'm telling Uncle Bruce about our adventures with a tear in my eye and a grin on my face.  And, in my heart I will hear his voice reassuring me it will be alright...

Love you, Uncle Bruce.


5 comments:

  1. What a special remembrance. I will pray for God's comfort on all who love this man. What a blessing to have had him in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome man! Can't wait to meet him one day! We'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete