Thursday, February 6, 2014

"Critters" (part 2)

You've met the dogs and the cats, now for the horses!    We've owned
horses for the past 11, or so, years.  Not always the same horses, mind you.  We have bought and sold, adopted, bred (once), and yes, had to lay a couple of equine friends to rest in that time.  We even operated a boarding stable for a few years, and I mucked stalls, cleaned tack and "barn-sat" for other horsepeople so that we could afford this...passion  ....of ours.  Horses are a huge, expensive responsibility, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!  My family has learned so much from them.  Having a relationship with a horse demands that you look at life through another's perspective - a perspective totally opposite your own, most times. People make the mistake of thinking a horse is like a big dog - nothing is farther from the truth!  And, there's nothing like connecting with such a majestic creature!

This is Little Joe.  We call him LJ.  He is our 16 yr. old paint cross.  He is a super trail horse with a quirky "horsenality".  If he had a voice, I think he would sound like Mountain Man from Duck Dynasty!  Just about anyone could enjoy a leisurely ride with this guy.
And, to the right, is my girl, Reflections of Cinnamon, aka. Lexie.  She is our 9 yr. old APHA mare that I have had the pleasure of raising since my husband bought her as a yearling, sight unseen, 8 years ago!  We've had our ups and downs with this gal, almost sold her twice, but, turns out she is the perfect partner for Rosemary.  They love to jump together!












                                                                             


Dream (summer 2013)
This fall, we made the very difficult decision to sell our other two equine.  We knew we could not devote adequate time, energy, and resources to improving the farm, starting our new maple business AND maintaining our standard of care and training for four horses, so Selin and Dream went to new homes where they are getting lots of love and attention.  For the first time in quite a while, I do not have my own mount to ride and train.  At first, I felt like one of my limbs had been cut off and I grieved a bit, but God has given me peace about it and directed my attention elsewhere.  I know that when the time is right, a new equine partner will come into my life.  Until then, I have daughters to coach!

Grace with Selin. 2012
    I have so many great horse photos, so forgive me if I overindulge here a moment..... I hope you enjoy them, too...






Rosie driving Dream (Aug. 2013)

Schooling Selin (summer 2013)

Rosie and Lexie, 1st combined training show (2012)

Friends loving on LJ (May 2013)




Blast from the Past......

Rosie, leadline class with my fave mount (to date), Windsor (2008)

My girls at a Fun Show w/ Lobelia and Tenacity (2011)


Check in tomorrow to meet a few other interesting critters......

No comments:

Post a Comment