Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I Love Herbs!

Herbs!  I enjoy using them in my cooking, especially when they are fresh.  I enjoy smelling them, and now that I have a sunny location with great soil, I enjoy growing them!  I actually don't know much about using them, other than in my cooking, but that is one of those things I'd like to learn....I'd like to study some medicinal uses.

















Last year, when we were building beds around the house, I envisioned this location, just off the corner of the porch, for herbs.

May 2013



 It is coming along very nicely!

June 2014


One Saturday in early-July 2013, Will, Grace and I traversed up route 90 to visit several yard sales.

A small, family fruit and veggie stand we happened upon had perennials and herbs for sale....dirt cheap!

Now, they looked pretty pathetic, clearly needing more space and water than the tiny plastic pots could provide.

I wasn't even sure they'd make it a week, but I decided it was worth a few bucks to find out.




Much to my surprise, most of them did!  As of today, I'd say they look really healthy!

















We've been mulching this week, which dresses it up a bit.



So far, I have a few "non-herb" perennials, plus thyme, lavender, rosemary, basil, oregano, chives and 3 types of mint in my little garden. Some are too small to use, yet, but I have been using the thyme and the mint.

Have you ever heard of meadow tea?  It's a "Lancaster County" specialty.   Basically, it is iced tea made with fresh mint and sugar.  There's no real recipe - it's uniquely made by each of my Lancaster County friends!  I chose 3 types of mint to grow so I could "jazz up" my meadow tea this summer.  Tasty and refreshing on a hot day....if we ever get one of those this year in CNY!

Last summer, my friend, Cathy, gave me a bunch of plants that she had separated from her beds - most of them came back for me as well, despite the hard winter.  I love the iris blooms!



Well, so far so good with the veggie garden.... All the plants have made it through the first 10 days!   We added a row of sweet potatoes.....  Here's hoping for a great growing season in CNY.

We'll be making more improvements to Westbrook Farm as we head into summer, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment