Saturday, September 24, 2016

Defining Success



Those of you who know me fairly well, will agree:  I enjoy observing and analyzing the world around me...especially people.  I'm also into critically thinking about what I observe, research, and using what I learn for reflection and self-evaluation.
     





So, you are in for an intellectual treat this blog post because I'm in one of those moods!

SUCCESS....what is it?



A person generally defines success by his or her surrounding culture and the expectations of his or her family group or peer group.

So, according to popular American culture, success is defined through achievements and external things like a certain level of education, the amount of money one earns, the house or property one owns, that upper level position at one's place of employment , and so on.  We tend to strive for these shallow things... and those who don't are looked upon as underachievers, less than, lazy....  Sometimes, those that don't place a high value on these worldly things are perceived as less intelligent.

Now, this really irritates me, so let's take a moment to define something:


Academic achievement and intelligence are not the same thing.  "Intelligence" is defined as, "the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills." It is also the ability to adapt and use the resources in one's environment.  To take tools and use them for a productive purpose other than their original intent.  It definitely is not defined anywhere as "the knowledge and skills acquired in a classroom taught by someone who has earned a college degree" or "the ability to achieved a GPA of 3.0 or higher at a college institution".  Those things are nice, however, pop culture today tends to limit "intelligence" to exactly that, sadly.  I happen to know several highly intelligent individuals who did not graduate from college.  In fact, I married one.

Will and Don's new cool project!





Success, in our culture, is often linked to economic status as well as education level.  This narrow-minded, limiting definition that we impose upon ourselves and those around us will always leave us feeling shallow and flat...empty and wanting...








According to the dictionary "success" is:
      *the accomplishment of an aim or purpose
      *the attainment of popularity or profit
      *a person that achieves desired aims or attains prosperity

Take a closer look at that first one...

I propose we stop looking at our own success and that of our loved ones in terms of academic achievement, personal finances and materialism.

For instance, are we only successful at homeschooling if our children pass certain tests?  Get accepted to certain colleges?  Graduate from college with a particular degree?  No way!

Don and I set about this homeschooling adventure with certain goals in mind.  Intentions.

We wanted our children to know how to learn, how to think critically and apply their knowledge and skills creatively no matter what they choose to do for a living as adults.  We wanted to have a quantity of time with them, as well as "quality time", and we hoped to foster strong sibling bonds between them.  And, finally, we wanted to train them to evaluate the world around them from a Biblical worldview.  I can say with confidence, that homeschooling has been a success for us.

We need to live purposefully, setting realistic goals for ourselves and not imposing our own idea of success on others.  Rather than beating ourselves up or criticizing others for not meeting some shallow definition of success, let's celebrate with each other when we achieve the goals we set for ourselves.

For one person, this could be staying sober and holding the same job for a whole year.
For another, this could mean earning a master's degree in engineering.

Let's take a moment and look at Westbrook Farm Maple.  Are we successful?  To some, no, because we haven't really made much money or achieved a significant level of recognition. And, we've only made syrup for three seasons.  But we say, "Yes!"

Our goal, really, was to teach our children how to take an idea...a seed planted, if you will...and seek more knowledge and understanding.  Experiment with it. Adapt what you've read and heard and seen to make it work for you based on the resources available to you.  Apply what you have learned.  To ask "Why?" and "How?"

In fact, most of what Don and I have done over the last 16 years or so...the choices we've made...were not about making more money or achieving a certain status in the eyes of others, but rather it was about transferring our intense love of learning, creativity, and critical thinking to our children.



And finally, in my humble opinion, success is building positive, uplifting relationships with others.  Not living in a fancy, expensive house, not owning a closetful of designer clothes, not driving a particular car or having the latest iphone.




It's a successful day if I have seized  the opportunities before me to encourage and uplift the people around me.  It's a successful week if I've had deep, meaningful conversations with my husband and each of my kids.

It's a successful year if I've reached the goals I've prayerfully set for myself...not the goals or plans others have imposed upon me.












With our newest adventure...raising Isaac...are our only goals to win races, earn lots of money, and gain recognition?  No!  





While those things are nice...and may happen...the goals are:

     *Seize another fantastic learning opportunity for our family, particularly those of us who are                  passionate about horses,
     *Raise a healthy, sound racehorse to the very best of our ability,
     *Encourage and inspire the precious people in our sphere of influence,
     *Have fun, meet new people, and create memories,
     *And, see this handsome horse do what he was born and bred to do...race.





Even if he never wins a race, if we accomplish these goals this whole experience is a success!


I guess you could call Don a renaissance man... I have always admired him for that, and I'm so blessed to "ride his train" these last 20+ years, even though there are times when I want to strangle him!







NEVER. STOP. LEARNING.  That is success!

I hope my musings have given you food for thought.  I enjoy writing....sharing my thoughts!  I take pictures because I love capturing moments and details through my camera lens.

Friends, come back soon for my next blog post, chock-full of autumn images I've been capturing lately!





1 comment:

  1. I do not usually post a comment, but my wife honors me. Thank-you Jennifer

    ReplyDelete