Sunday, October 9, 2016

Naming a Trotter...And, Some Autumn Glory!




Who knew naming our surprise standardbred colt was going to be so challenging!

We've been dwelling on this and brainstorming around the dinner table for the past 3+ months.  Even during our car travels together, the conversation often winds up on possible horse names!

We joined the US Trotting Association a couple months ago, obtaining both the rules for naming and access to registry records so we could find out if the names we liked were available.


Seemed like nearly every clever or creative name we came up with was already taken!








Some of our favorites were:
           "Stowaway"
           "Visionary"
           "Renaissance Man"
           "American Muscle"
           "Crazy Train"

All of these were taken!


We came up with 20-some names to no avail...Even his barn name, Isaac, was taken!



Then, we thought we'd be even more clever and try some names in foreign languages, like Italian or French.  My favorite was "Papillon", which means butterfly in French, after that gorgeous butterfly that was present for his birth and hung around him for an entire week afterwards.


We need to submit three name options when we mail them his paperwork and a check, however since we have access to the name registry, and know that no one else has used our first choice, we should be alright....Ultimately, we have decided to name him after his sire who was quite a speedy, powerful fella who had his career cut short by an injury.  His name was "High Tech".  So, our first choice name is....

"Classified Tech".  




We'll be submitting our choices later this month.  We shall see what they say!

I feel like he must be the most photographed colt ever!  I just can't help myself - He Is Beautiful... and charismatic.  Plus, I want to record his...and our... fantastic story so that 10, 20...even 30 years from now I can look at the photos and reminisce with my family...tell stories to my grandchildren...






Isaac is growing strong.  He's eating a good share of feed and hay now, nursing less and less.  Sassy has already begun to wean him on her own, so I think we will have a smooth transition in that department.

He'll be having a vet check-up soon, and a hoof-trimming.  Here's hoping both go smoothly and he doesn't take a nip ( or a chunk!) out of anyone!






On a side note, this past Friday was an utterly gorgeous autumn day! Seventy-one degrees and sunny! Don happened to get home from work early, so we took the opportunity to get the motorcycle out and have a little "date afternoon".  Of course, I took my camera along.

Savor some fall beauty from around the Fingerlakes Region:









After enjoying a brief visit with some friends who live just off rt. 90, we took the back country roads out to rt. 41-A, cruised up the north side of Skaneateles Lake, stopped for coffee and a walk by the lake, soaking in the sunshine, then cruised down the south side.


Fun times!  Making memories.




Funny to recall - Four years ago this weekend was the first time our whole family ever visited Central New York!

This area has grown on me.

Don't get me wrong... I will still do a happy dance when I've endured my last winter up here, however, even when it's time for us head back to PA...or elsewhere in this great country...I will always request to spend a week or two of early autumn at the finger lakes of New York!


Let us know if you need or want maple syrup.  It makes a terrific gift for friends, teachers and party hosts this holiday season!
(We will ship at your request.)

2 comments:

  1. The name choice sounds great! I love autumn! Sounds like you guys had a great date afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it was a nice date. I have always loved how you decorate your home for autumn. In my next house, maybe, lol!

      Delete