Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A New Twist On An Old Favorite

We all have our comfort foods, right?  Well, one of mine happens to be blueberry muffins with hot tea.  I love to enjoy this tasty treat on a brisk autumn morning or a snowy, cloudy winter afternoon...... or even a chilly, rainy, late-summer day, like today in CNY! 

I know....I already shared one muffin recipe......but this one is an interesting twist on a classic.  I happened to have some crushed pineapple leftover from baking my mom's zucchini bread recipe, so I decided to play around with my standard blueberry muffin recipe and came up with this:



Moist and Chewy Blueberry-Pineapple Muffins


2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 Tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 cup crushed pineapple, well-drained
2 cups blueberries





Preheat oven to 375 and spray muffin pans. (Makes 16 -18 regular muffins.)

1.  Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
2.  In medium bowl, mix well the eggs, oil, yogurt, syrup, brown sugar, and lemon juice.  
3.  Combine wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.


 



4.  Gently stir in the crushed pineapple and blueberries. Batter will be very thick.  **If batter seems too dry at this point, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk.






5.  Spoon into muffin pans and bake for 16-20 minutes.



**Almost any topping, or even no topping, works for these moist, tasty muffins.  I decided to take about a tablespoon of melted butter and stir in a bit of maple syrup.  Then, I evenly coated about a 1/2 cup of coarse-chopped walnuts and sprinkled on top of the muffins BEFORE baking to create a toasted maple-walnut topper.  






Brew a cup of coffee or tea and....YUM!  Delicious comfort for any day!  Needless to say, these muffins go quickly in my home.....


Check back later in the week for my homemade hot blueberry syrup recipe.  What's better than blueberry syrup on blueberry pancakes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment