Sunday, August 10, 2014

Beautiful Blueberries



Fresh fruits and veggies make eating so delightful this time of the year.  So many juicy, colorful, flavorful fruits are available!



And, who doesn't love fresh berries?  Magenta to crimson to deep violet, luscious berries are readily available in the Northeast this time of year....But, my all-time favorite berry is the beautiful blueberry.  I love its deep blue color just as much as its tart-n-sweet flavor.  I even think the bushes, with their smooth, deep green leaves, are lovely!

And, one of my favorite pastimes is picking my own blueberries on a late summer's day when the sun is warm and bright, but the heat is not too intense....when you can sense that autumn is not too far off.... 


Someday, I'm gonna have 2 or 3......or 20 (knowing my husband!) blueberry bushes on Westbrook Farm, but until then, I have to find someplace else to pick.

Last year, one of my new friends, Julianne, took me to this scenic little blueberry orchard on top of a hill just outside of Cortland, NY, called Hall's Hill. (www.hallshillblueberryfarm.com)  We picked several pounds to eat fresh and we froze enough to make blueberry "delights" throughout the winter.



I mentioned to her, a few weeks ago, that I'd love to go again, but we weren't sure if we'd be able to make it happen since both of us have been experiencing "transportation challenges" of late.






However, last Thursday, Praise the Lord, we made it happen! 




My friend, our daughters, and I grabbed our buckets and baskets, packed into her minivan, and head to the hills.  What a lovely afternoon we had!




Blessed with perfect weather and delightful company, I weaved my way in and out of the rows, tasting the different varieties of blueberries, and selecting the ones I wanted to fill our containers. We moms had the opportunity to chat, relax in the sun, and watch the cottony clouds float by as we picked, while our daughters chattered their way up and down the rows of blueberry bushes, and played with the sweet farm dog.






Now, this farm has at least 4, maybe 5 or 6, different varieties of blueberries.  Who knew there were so many choices?!  Different sizes and levels of tartness or sweetness...  Since they are not labeled, the only way to know what you are getting is...taste, of course!  And, note the rows of the ones you like.

Grace, Rosie and I identified 3, that, when combined, produce an amazing flavor explosion in your mouth!  So, that's what we picked.
 

I'm so glad I decided to take my camera along - such a gorgeous day!!





The final outcome:  9 and half pounds of juicy, blue deliciousness!


Blueberry recipes to come, I promise!  I've already made some muffins, but mostly we've been adding our blueberries to our yogurt, hot cereal and vanilla ice cream.....yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment