Friday, October 23, 2015

A New Resident...

I always know that our most colorful season is nearing its end when this tree, along with a few others in the sugarbush, turn a brilliant shade of orange.  It's breath-taking!

Looks like we'll be there in just a few days [SIGH]....






Last weekend, the girls and I drove down to Pennsylvania to visit family and friends.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, er, our little homestead...



The guys were hard at work....eating pizza - just kidding!  They completed a few projects...





The back.

The front!





And, since our silly hens can't seem to lay their eggs in the chicken coop instead of in the hayloft or wheelbarrow, or other random locations in the backyard...















...the guys fenced in a lovely little chicken yard attached to the coop for the time being.  We'll let them range the property, again, once they develop the habit of laying in their nest boxes.


Don and Will also hauled some firewood out of the woods, splitting and organizing it for winter, as well as organizing some more of our supplies for next maple season.  



Sassy Anna
                                                              When the girls and I arrived home Sunday afternoon, we brought along a new resident...a pasture-mate for Lexie!  Her name is Sassy Anna.                                                                                                                                               You see, back in the spring, Don and Grace decided that they really weren't interested in trail riding anymore... which meant that L. J., our trail horse, was out of a job.
Knowing it would not be good for him to waste away in the pasture, we opted to sell him.  After several months, we found the perfect new owner for him.  Yay!





Lexie became quite depressed living all by herself, and that just would not do.  I adore her too much.  After all, she's been part of our family for over ten years!




Recalling that one of my neighbors in PA had inquired about a "retirement home" for one of their former harness-racers (presently a broodmare), I decided to give them a call.  Sure enough, Sassy Anna was still there. "I'd love to take her!" I gushed.  "She'll be good therapy for me AND Lexie!"
So, we would be her retirement home.

"I must be crazy!"  I thought as I drove north on route 10, hauling a horse home....for a horse. I really don't need any more "therapy"....of this kind, at least! That's why I have not one, but THREE goofy, obnoxious dogs!




They couldn't even tell me her exact age - only that she's between 18 and 21.  She's quite out of shape right now, but we're hoping to get her back in harness for some relaxing drives around the nearby state forest.

Whether she lives two more years or ten, we will do our best to give Sassy Anna what she needs to thrive - even if the only thing I ever get to do with her is groom her and feed her apples and carrots every afternoon!







So that's what's goin' on at Westbrook Farm.  
We'll be at the Homer Farmers' Market one last time this season - Saturday, October 24th.  Feel free to drop by for some delicious maple syrup or maple lollipops.  
And, follow me here to find out about our upcoming holiday specials!                                      



No comments:

Post a Comment