Sunday, October 11, 2015

To Market, To Market...




Well, it is just about mid-October. And, a gorgeous time of year, indeed!


But, that means, roughly, FOUR more months until next maple season!

Between some inclement weather and a knee injury that Don sustained at work about ten days ago, our project completion has been a bit delayed.





However, we did put up some shelves, and we moved much of our maple supplies into the new sugar shack, recently.





















What else are we doing?  Why, going to market!  Yes, we've been selling syrup and lollipops at the Homer Farmers' Market in Downtown Homer, New York, (about 7 miles from the farm) these last two weekends, as you may have noticed in our Facebook posts.




We've been talking about doing this since May...... In hind sight, we really should've just joined this organization for the entire season which runs Saturdays and Wednesday evenings from mid-May through October.  I guess we just weren't ready to make the commitment before now... 

You will find us there most Saturdays next season, though! 


While last Saturday was cloudy, drizzly and quite chilly, this Saturday was crisp but sunny - a perfect autumn day!


These two photos were taken as vendors were setting up.  Since the season is winding down, there have been fewer vendors and fewer patrons in attendance, but its been nice getting to know some of the regulars.








Last weekend, Rosie helped me.  This weekend, it was me and Grace.  I'm thinking, however, between the five of us, no one will need to give up every single Saturday next season, and we may even have time to do some Wednesday evenings, too!

At any rate, I'm quite sure we'll be able to sell quite a bit of maple products, while also getting to know our community better - who can beat that!







I don't think Grace really wanted her picture taken at nine in the morning....it was still pretty chilly out as we were setting up!













I decided to play "photographer-extraordinaire" between chatting with potential customers and neighboring vendors.  Here are a few of the beautiful visions surrounding us at market:












Normally, there is a honey producer, a specialty soaps and lotions artisan, a grass-fed meats producer, and a wood crafter, in addition to the fresh produce stands and bakery.  This market has grown consistently over the past few years, so I am excited to see what other local, small agri-businesses and artisans will be represented here next year.


Watch for more news about the market in Spring 2016!





In the meantime, we have just a few lollipops left,  which I plan to give to some special little folks in my family, whom I get to see next weekend....(let's pray I don't forget to pack them!)...




Yes, we'll be in PA for a very brief visit, so let me know if you need some syrup down there - I'll bring it along, Pennsylvanian Friends!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Jen....you can bring syrup for us. One bottle is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! A quart? Do prefer lighter or darker syrup? I'll send you a FB message so we can figure out when and how I can get it to you.

      Delete